Thursday, March 27, 2008

It's time for a break

I'm ready for spring break. I love my job, and things have been going really well, but it's time to have some time just to hang out with the kids.

G has had a rough month. Wednesday was his first day of school in a week (parent-teacher interviews, a PD day, etc.), and he had a major meltdown when we got there. It is so heartbreaking to see him so sad and worried. So, once I managed to get him into the building, we went to a quiet room until he calmed down. When he stopped crying, we talked about how he was worried that school is going to get hard. So we talked about how hard gymnastics used to be and how he was worried about going there, but he went anyway and now he can do awesome teddy bear stands. He even showed his EA one of his teddy bear stands. After about 40 minutes, he was ready to be in his classroom and take on the day. I was back for lunch duty, and he was doing okay. Hopefully tomorrow's hot dog day will be enough motivation that we won't have a repeat. I am expecting, though, that the week or two following spring break will be another rough transition time. Disruptions to his regular routine just raise his overall anxiety level and he gets much more emotional. The disruptions are not a bad thing, they encourage him to learn that life is unpredictable and it's okay...but it does make life a little more stressful for all of us as we help him learn how to manage his anxiety.

And in the grown up world... I've just booked a flight to Toronto to go spend time with my little sis! Just the girls. No kids. No guys. I can't wait! I'll miss the kids like crazy, but it's been almost 6 years since I've done a trip like this to see her, and that is far too long!

M has decided that walking is not such a bad thing after all. I'm convinced that she's been able to for quite a while, but just hasn't been that interested. Honestly, I really haven't encouraged her to walk all that much either...I know (knock on wood) that she's going to be our last baby, and I'm not in any rush for her to grow up. Poor girl.

No comments: