Sunday, April 6, 2008

Back to Reality

Tomorrow morning we'll all be heading back to the grind. Spring break was good. I needed a break, some extra time with the kids. Things were so intense in the two months before Spring Break that I just needed to shut it off for a week. So, I took a break. I brought work home, and I didn't do it. I'm okay with that. I'll catch up tomorrow.

I'm glad we didn't make any momentous travel plans this year. Things have been so busy, it was nice to just stay close to home, and catch up with some stuff around the house, spend time with friends, and take a few smaller outings.

Went swimming at the Aquatic Centre in Steinbach on Friday. Thank goodness for friends with older kids who came along, because I never would've managed the "You must stay in arm's reach of your children" rule on my own! I only have two arms! The kids had a really good time! It was super noisy in there, and that's always tough on G, but he still had fun. Both G and L went on the waterslide with one of the older kids, they had lots of fun in the "river," and M went crazy for the pool! She is a real water baby. On a side note, I think that L has her first crush on an older boy... he babysat with his older sister on Thursday afternoon so I could get a haircut, and then they joined us at the pool. She had to sit beside him at DQ after swimming, and she's been talking about him a lot :-) It's cute.

We went out on Saturday for the 16th anniversary of our first date! I can't believe we've been together for that long! I guess it means I'm getting older, and that we're still making it work. We went shopping in the afternoon, which is always much more pleasurable and productive without kids along, and then we went for supper. We were home before the kids were sleeping, and it was nice to tuck them in.

I'm crossing my fingers for a smooth transition back into reality. The kids have kept their sleep routine pretty consistent, even getting up earlier than usual (all on their own) for much of their week. I know I've said this before, but I just don't get how they wake up early, on their own, on days when I'm not working, but on work days, we need to wake them up...and it's ugly. G's respite worker will be taking him to school this week so that she can stick around and help him transition back into school. Breaks are hard on young kids...especially when they have anxiety and issues with flexibility and transitions. L and M should be excited to be back with their friends in daycare. They're both so social...I think they may have been getting a little bored at home ;-)

No comments: