Friday, June 27, 2008

My little graduate


I can't believe that he's done Kindergarten! I know it's a cliche...but time sure flies! It seems like just yesterday that I dropped a nervous little boy off at school for the first time.

I was so proud to see him in his cute little tea party outfit, parading with his teacher and classmates to celebrate their graduation. He brought how an About Me book that has samples of his work throughout the year, and the book really shows how much his printing and drawing have improved over the year. There are also a lot of really nice photos and stories about many of the activities he did over the year.

There were a lot of tough days throughout the year. Days when he was anxious because there was a change to the usual school routine. Those days often started with tears and reluctance to go to school. I'm very lucky to have enough flexibility in my life and work that I was able to stay with him at school until he was feeling more comfortable and confident. I'm so proud of this guy's persistence... there were many days when he was very anxious, but I got him through the door, and calmed down...and he learned that he would be okay! I'm sure the anxiety will still be there in fall...but we've come a long way in building his memories of being able to cope over the past year.

I'm so grateful for the caring teachers and staff at his school! They have done a lot to support him, and us in making the transition into school. The greatest success this past year was that he made some friends. One of his new friends said that his favourite part of school was playing dominos with G! He'll have four close friends in his class next year, and another great teacher!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: