Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ups and downs

I'm so grateful to have a career that allows me to have extra time off with my kids over summer. Sure, I've got a lot of work to get done... but I can do it on my own time. We've had a lot of fun lately... went swimming on Sunday, had an evening out with some of Ralph's colleagues on Saturday, and had a great time with some friends on Friday night. We've finished G's first Relationship Development Assessment, which involved about 20 hours worth of appointments in the city over two weeks. We've played outside, been participating in the library's summer reading program, and I've even been doing some scrapbooking.

We've also had a difficult transition to summer holidays. G has been pretty anxious with the change to his routine, and having to get along with his sister all day long. L has been missing daycare, and has been testing the limits lately. Fortunately, M has been her usual flexible self. We've had some rather embarrassing public displays this week... L melting down about not wanting to drive her bike half a block from home, while G was already half a block ahead, and totally not listening about needing to come back. Today started out much better, a nice walk to the library, then uptown for a few errands. I promised G he could buy a drink from the drink machine, but before he could press his choice.... L pressed the water button. So, he cried most of the way home because "It's not fair, she didn't even know what I wanted," and L screamed and screeched in his face while he tried to keep control. Ick. I'm taking a break tomorrow and going to work for the morning. Hopefully we'll all get along a little better after that.

No comments: